[TR] Stag owners

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Tue Feb 5 09:40:29 MST 2019

As I've been promoting Drive Your Triumph Day around the world, I received the email below from the Registrar of the Stag Owners Club in the UK.   http://www.stag.org.uk

First off it's very cool that he's forwarded my promotional email to all the officers of the club, but he also has a request which is why I'm passing this on to those of you who own a Stag and may be able to help him with the information he's looking for.

Thank you,

Rye

Dear Rye,

Thank you for reminding us about the Drive Your Triumph Day. I have forwarded your e-mail to our 80 name officer list.

I, personally, have not had a Triumph to drive for over ten years now as all mine need some TLC but I am spending a lot of time on research into various areas of production and sales history of the Stag. Although the book on Sir John Black doesn’t cover the ‘Stag Period’ I am keen on understanding the back story to Triumph production and will enjoy the book on Sir John.  Thank you to yourself (and to Nick) for sharing.

Whilst writing, I wonder if you may be able to assist me in some of my research.

The story of Stag in the USA has never been fully told and I am interested in the sales history – particularly during the period from June 1970 (when the Stag was launched in the UK) to December 1971. I have found out that the car was launched to the press in the States at the end of March 1971 and to the public at the New York International Auto Show, which opened on 2nd April 1971. The information which I have is that Stag was actually launched in Palm Springs alongside the Series 3, V12 E-type (as by that time Jaguar and Triumph were being marketed under the British Leyland banner and brand allegiance was being deliberately sidelined). However, I have no confirmation of this or any further information as to exactly where this took place, how many Stags were present (and how many E-types), or which cars were there for the press to drive.

I understand that Stag is not well received, even now, and that your organisation probably spends most of it’s time with TRs and Spitfires but I wonder whether you/your organisation could assist in tracking down the information for which I am searching.

Very best regards

Peter

Peter Robinson
Registrar