[TR] 4cylinder block flushing fixture

Cliff Hansen cliff_hansen at outlook.com
Mon May 10 14:26:43 MDT 2021

Listers,

I’ve assembled a rig to connect a garden hose to the block drain port (remove the tap, screw in one end of the rig). Works a treat to reverse flush the block.

The plumbing is basic but my prototype involves too many parts. I started with ¾” male hose thread (MHT) to work with a cheapo radiator flush kit (specifically, the backflow preventer). A sequence of adapters gets from ¾ MHT to 3/8” tube, then to 5/16” tube to connect to a 5/16 hose barb to ½-20 ORB adapter.  A ¾” MHT to 5/16 barb is apparently made of unobtainium, as are any ½-20 ORB fittings with hose barbs other than 5/16”.

I’ve found sources for parts to make these rigs more simply, but the parts are only sold in bulk.

Would anyone be interested in one of these rigs?

I would be happy to assemble kits and ship at cost (somewhere around $15), for the fun of it, if there’s enough demand.

Cliff