[TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

stagbytriumph at triumphstagclub.org stagbytriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Mon Apr 4 10:08:48 MDT 2022

Remember that “Uncle Jack”, the 1973 Triumph Stag restored by ISOA and used for the 2009 Triumph Trans AmeriCAN Charity Drive had a Laycock d’ Normanville “Volvo” J Type OD installed.

I know because the J OD came from my personal stores.  I donated that to the Uncle Jack build to convert a rapidly sourced and donated transmission after the original sourced J OD 4 speed transmission disintegrated on its maiden test drive.

The only issue was the Volvo uses a different output flange on the output shaft which needs to be changed to a Triumph flange to allow the Triumph (Prop) drive shaft to be bolted up.

The standard drive (prop) shaft for a 4 speed then is a direct bolt up without modification.  The only drive (prop) shafts modifications I have seen are going from an automatic to a manual, the automatic drive (prop) shaft needs to be replaced with a manual style, which are indeed rare in the US, but can be fabricated.

Glenn Merrell, CAP

StagByTriumph Garage

aka Stag-By-Triumph Garage (on FaceBook)

Remember, “the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen … with the occasional smell of manure!”