[TR] TR6 engine block

dave northrup dave at ranteer.com
Sat Feb 12 11:39:22 MST 2022

When I bought the car (1972 TR6) in 2001, a friend suggested that I replace the oil pressure warning sensor in the block.  It just failed at the joint between the metal and the plastic.  Fortunately, being a pack rat, I still have the original sensor which I put back in.  it looks to be of much higher quality, although I guess I shouldn't complain about 20 years of service.

I suspect the one I just put back in is the original sensor and survived the first 30 years without trouble.  I thought about carrying a spare - this failure would have been catastrophic as quite a bit of oil was leaking out, not to mention the mess it made of the exhaust and the undercarriage.  Then I figured I could just carry a small bolt with a copper washer.  Given the car has an oil pressure gage which I think would flag this disaster much sooner, plus the copious amount of oil underneath would have alerted me, as it did this time.

Does anyone know how far into the block this hole goes?  What is down there and how short a bolt do I have to use?