[Vintage-race] torque wrench

Paul 9laser3 at bright.net
Tue Dec 2 14:42:00 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----

   I have become disillusioned and disappointed with anything Sears.

  Sears Craftsman vices and clamps used to be made in Chicago and
Garrettsville, Ohio, by Wilton Tools.  The castings and forgings were made
in Ohio.  The machining was done in Ohio.  The assembly was done in Ohio.
Even the boxes were made and printed in Ohio.  However, by January, 2002,
when I left employment with Wilton, there were only 4 employees left in
Ohio.  About 6 months later, the Chicago manufacturing plant was also
closed.  About a year before we closed the doors, Wilton was bought out by
HTII.  They started bringing in Chinese components to be assembled in Ohio,
but once the two plants closed, they started shipping in complete vices and
clamps from China.  If you can find and old Wilton, Warren, Craftsman, or
Hardgrave vice, buy it!  If you're shopping at Sears, leave them on the
shelf!

Paul
Ohio