[Vintage-race] What Oil Do You Use?

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 17:27:30 MST 2008

Norm, if your friend was talking about using synthetic brake fluid in vintage
racers with 'European' natural rubber seals in the brake system I would say
he's on track. However....

Bob Oker was using Steen C (then called "chemical lubricant") back in at least
'57 and possibly earlier. The Bristol he is racing here (Paramount Ranch,
1957) and the Morgan he drove before the Bristol were both owned by Ed Savin
(Savin Motors in East L.A., CA). Ed was the western US distributor for Steen
C.

There is Absolutely Nothing "NEWor MODERN" about "chemical lubricants" or
"synthetic lubricants".

In '57 and '58 when Bob drove for the Triumph factory at Sebring, after the
Shell oil reps co-sponsoring the cars had inspected them they drained the
"Shell" lubricants from the engine, trans and differentials and refilled them
with Steen C.

I would say it's a 50/50 split between petroleum lubricants and synthetics in
todays 'historic' racers. I personally use Valvoline 20-50 Racing in my Lotus
61 formula Ford because its cheaper than synthetics and gets the job done. If
petroleum lubricants didn't do the job I would switch over in a heartbeat.

I think you need to take your friend to the local "watering hole" and buy him
a double "Reality Check" on the rocks. I think he's filled his mouth with
words before filling his brain with knowledge.
    Carl    61/FF/79