[Vintage-race] What Oil Do You Use?

Dave Mapes dmapes at erols.com
Thu Jan 3 17:55:21 MST 2008

Yep, Been running synthetic in every vehicle I've owned since 1974 (Honda SL
100, Suzuki RM125B, '66 Mustang, 74 Dart, '66 Barracuda, '91 Impulse, '91
Sundance, '97 Cherokee, '96 Ducatti M900, '66 Dart, '05 Impreza).  On the
Mustang and Barracuda, the motors got run in on a chassis dyno so they had
synthetic in the crank case from day one; I plan the same when the Dart gets
its fresh 273.   On ZDP, I've been adding Comp Cams break-in additive - one
bottle to an 8 to 10 quart oil change (depends on which of the three).  I
usually use 20w50 Mobil 1 in the flat tappet V8s.  This whole ZDP thing may
lead me to use a roller cam in the Dart's new motor.

At 06:41 PM 1/3/08 -0500, John A. Rollins wrote:
>I would say he needs to take a break from whatever is stressing him out.
>The type of oil used has very little to do with creating massive amounts of
>additional horsepower but a lot to do with making a motor last.  A better
>discussion is that of the removal of the zinc and phosphor additives for the
>new formulations of most oil these days.  That's causing a LOT of additional
>wear and more than a few engine failures...
>
>*8o)
>
>Website: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-nobozos

All the Best!  Dave
Sr. Software Engineer/Requirements Manager/Systems Assurance Analyst
US DHS-ICE, Washington, DC