[Vintage-race] Trailer tires

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 09:09:18 MDT 2008

John,
I've got Goodyear radial (trailer) tires on my enclosed car trailer. I've
weighed it on certified scales (when loaded) and I'm about 5,200 pounds.
(7,000 gross weight rating). I've experienced this with the tires beginning at
about 3 years of age. I've noted the lifting (delamination) of the center of
the tread, and also noted splitting of the sidewall near the edge of the tread
coinciding with the delamination. My tire guys scientific explaination is....
"Yup, day'll do dat".

Of interest I have bias ply tires on the boat trailer (8,000 pounds when
loaded) and have never experienced this problem with that trailer. While the
majority of the boat trips are to nearly Pyramid Lake (70 mile round trip),
we've also made numerous trips to Lake Powell (1,700 mile round trip) so both
trailer have been subjected to long trips with the tires getting fully heated.

My tire guy also recommended bias ply tires for the car trailer next time I
need skins for it.. Haven't decided if I'll go bias on the car trailer or
Michelins, and not worry about it.
    Carl        Lotus 61 FF