[Vintage-race] Trailer tires

mhkitchen at aol.com mhkitchen at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 18:57:36 MDT 2008

Norm and all:

FYI, I've had some experience with these systems, although I don't currently
own one. B I've worked on them in the past, and I'm actually a member of the
SAE Tire Pressure Monitoring Standards committee and help draft the SAE
standards for these.

The "active" systems (i.e. the ones that have in-wheel sensors) are the best
and most reliable. B I'm familiar with the SmarTire System mentioned earlier
and its my personal opinion that its probably the most robust of the
offerings, and best suited to trailer applications. B  It is costly, however,
and installation is relatively involved. B SmarTire has been working in this
area longer than nearly everyone, including the current OEM suppliers
(Schrader-Bridgeport, Siemens, BERU). B They're probably the only SERIOUS
system offered in the aftermarket. B They also make systems for semi trucks,
Indy cars, Lamborghini's, Rolls Royce's, RV's, and light rail systems.

The good news is that they can be programmed to monitor both temp and
pressure, and can alert you to increasing temps that could signal a problem in
advance of a blowout. B Although they transmit wirelessly to a receiver, you
still have to wire in the receiver, and if the trailer axles are too far away,
then you may have to wire in a repeater, or external antenna.

I have personally tried the mechanical valve stem caps that change colors.
B Their big problem is they leak! B I had two fail and create flats.

There are also some with t
ransmitter/sensors that mount to existing valve stems. B Those have been
questionable as well. B Their batteries have limited life, they have a lot of
rotating mass on a suspect mounting stem (the valve stem). B

As you said, they are a bit of early warning, but they can't help you much if
you run over something, other than to let you know you have a low tire (which
you'll probably notice....however, one of my blowouts when undetected for over
a mile until I saw smoke coming off the wheel in the mirrors).

Regards,

Myles