[Vintage-race] Last Chevron

Rick Yocum rickyocum at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 16 22:10:20 MDT 2009

I just visied a friend's shop where I saw he was reassembling the last
factory Chevron (a B-51, as I recall...built in 1980).  I've seen the tub in
his shop for years and saw body parts in his Dad's barn over the years.
He's finally decided to put them all together and is thinking of selling the
car.

As I remember the history, it was ordered by Newman-Freeman racing, was
delivered and tested, then shipped back to the factory for body mods.  Some
freight company, to which Chevron owed money, seized the car and this
started an adventure that ended with the car in Ohio.  I think a Mansfield
driver eventually campaigned it, the last race being in St.Petersburg in
1985 (a dnf).

The present owner is a driver/mechanic/car-builder who has done work for me
for years.  And he knows what he has.  The car is pictured in the book about
Chevron.

If I had the money I'd probably buy it, although, at my age, I would have
absolutely no business behind the wheel...with a 5-liter engine behind me.
In front of me, as in Trans-Am...fine.  Behind me, as in Can-Am, I'm over my
head (and, possibly, on it).

But if there's any interest out there, drop me a line and I'll pass the
contact info on to the owner.

Rick Yocum
Lexington, OH