[Vintage-race] Pertronix

Steve Steers ssteers at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 10:16:42 MST 2009

Don,

When mine went bad, the car would start and run for about 4 seconds, then
quit abruptly.  After a few minutes, it'd do the same thing again. I thought
it was a fuel problem at first, but that all seemed fine.  So I replaced the
coil, no different.  To isolate it to ignition, I hooked up a timing light,
pointed it at my face and got it started, holding the engine at about 3
grand with the strobe flashing in my eyes.  At exactly the same moment the
engine quit firing, the light went out.  Then I knew it was a distributor
problem.  I put the points back in and it ran fine.  I am still blind,
however.

Steve
1958 Echidna, the "Larson" car