[Vintage-race] Pertronix

malaboge at aol.com malaboge at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 11:32:09 MST 2009

Sparky-

?

Sometimes I just can't stop myself...My mom always said, "If you haven't got anything nice to say...don't say anything". HOWEVER, I decided to install a Pertonix on the Duke of Oil (TR4A).? I put it on a new motor and that puppy wouldn't pull past 4000 on the dyno.? It just laid down and blubbered (technical term) at that rpm and wouldn't go further with a load on it.? After much head scrathin, I put the points back in and Voila (another of those technical terms) I had a screamer!

?

I sent the unit back and they were good about it and sent another to me straightaway. Later, ok like a year or so, I decided that I would fool arond with the replacement unit before I installed it.? After a little bench time, I found that although it delivered a nice spark with an ole Lucas Sport Coil, it didn't do it at the right time!? With points, the distributer deliverd a spark every 90 degrees of rotation.? But, with the Pertronix it was off by as much as 5 degrees (different on each firing point).? No matter what I fiddled with (there's those technical terms again), I couldn't get the spark to do its thing close enough to the time I thought it should be firing. Needless to say, that unit is in the back of the shelf somewhere.

?

Off a degree or two myself...

Nick in Nor Cal