[Vintage-race] Problems with a Bugeye motor

zeke5550 at aol.com zeke5550 at aol.com
Wed May 6 12:43:53 MDT 2009

I have a 948 Bugeye with 2 1 1/4 inch SUs.? I have been running the car for 10 years and have earned the nickname "Grenade".? I rebuilt the motor this winter with new rings, bearings, valve job etc.?

In the first outing this last weekend it was missing in the 4500 to 5500 rpm range.? It then cleared up and ran great from 5500 to 7500.? In that mid range it spit a gas vapor out of the carbs and drenched the air socks.? I checked for a vacuum leak, changed plugs. cap,?rotor, MSD box?and wires.? It runs too good from 5500 and up to be a spark problem.?

Why would the carbs (one more than the other) send a mist back out of the carb?? Any experience out there?? I checked the needle valves and they shut off the gas and float levels are consistent and normal.? I am out of ideas.? I also had to replace the springs on the centrifugal weights in the distributor.

Frustrated in Ohio
Gary Kropf
aka "Grenade"