[Vintage-race] Need advice on lifts

Mark Palmer mgvrmark at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:08:15 MST 2010

All,

I'm thinking of getting a lift for my home garage (actually, for a new garage
that I will have built).  I know absolutely nothing about lifts, never had
one, never used one.  The only thing I know for sure, is that I'm getting
older and it's getting harder to roll around on the floor with the car up on
jackstands.

My primary purpose for the lift is for servicing the car -- not storing one
(although it just might come in handy some day if it can be used for storing a
car).  So my questions are:

-- how many posts?  I'm thinking that 4-posts lifts are primarily storage
devices, right?  And 2-post lifts are better for servicing -- right?  How
about a single-post lift?

-- what are the floor requirements?  Standard slab, or thicker?  Rebar? Would
I be smart to pick the lift first and have the contractor install the lag
bolts and then pour the floor?  Or not really necessary? (what if I change my
mind about which bay I want it in...)

-- is it a pain to do under-hood work (car not in the air) when the car is in
the bay that has the lift?  So do I really need two service bays, one with the
lift (for underneath work) and another bay without a lift, for wheels-down
work?

-- what about the garage door?  Will I need a taller door to clear the lift?
Can you use an electric garage door opener on that bay -- wouldn't car hit the
opener when the lift is up?  So no opener??

-- any recommendations on a specific brand/manufacturer?  Ones to avoid?
Features to look for? Buy from a mfg close to my area to avoid expensive
shipping costs?  It seems like there are a hundred manufacturers that
advertise in Hemmings every month, do most people just buy from the one
closest to home?

-- any good sources of information that I can read (I haven't googled yet) --
anything you've read that you found to be extremely helpful?

Any advice appreciated ...

Mark Palmer