[Vintage-race] PVGP/VRG BeaveRun

Ralph Steinberg ralph at cloverleaf-auto.com
Sun May 29 06:16:41 MDT 2011

Good morning to you all. Wow! from wet and cold to steamy and hot. Where did
the spring go?! Well if it is hot it must mean that BeaveRun is just around
the corner and it is. So how come your entry is not in? Unless you have been
living under a rock somewhere you know that this year the PVGP is now in
direct control of both its races, the one you all know at BeaveRun and the
one you may not know as well at Schenley Park. For the first time in a long
time (Schenley is in its 29th year this year) the races at the Park are open
to a lot of you. So for many you can enter two completely different races on
one entry form for one combined price that is less than some races alone!
Free trailer and/or rig parking will be available for those who would like
and drop their rig and go home or better yet spend the week between the
races in the area.

 Now on to more things in specific: This year at BeaveRun we have a number
of things going on that we think you and our race fans will enjoy.

1) For our BIG Bore and Ground Pounders we have a new format - The US
challenge Cup - You and your British Cousins will be taking on the best that
Europe has to offer - German, Italian & French - Show them what cubic inches
and American grunt can do to their oh so fancy and dare we say effeminate
cars. For this event (and you are already quite familiar with the strange
things that may be seen at Beaver - an Aston Martin Nimrod being passed by a
Pinto!) not only will you see the cars you are used too and I suspect that
would mean our winged and devilishly fast 914 you have been chasing for the
past few years, but also some other newer Porsches & BMW race cars. So now
you will need to rely on both your sheer horsepower and knowledge of the
track to keep these pesky cars where they belong. In your mirrors. It looks
to be a fun time. I have a lot of interest from the European side and it
looks like I have the commitment of a few more Corvettes and perhaps an E
type or two to help. Tell your friends who keep saying they are going to
come that this is the year!

2) The First Annual Donna Mae Simms Memorial Race; this race is open to
Spridgets only and is a standalone sprint race held in conjunction with all
of the normal racing you will be doing. This is your moment to shine and to
honor a passed racer who broke all sorts of boundaries in the racing world.
There is no additional cost for this race (99% of you are legal to go onto
Schenley from this group)

3) FF Challenge Race - this is our traditional FF only race we have been
holding every year now for our FF & Club Ford entries. there is no
additional fee for this race

4) BMW/Porsche Cup Challenge - We are reviving our long standing Challenge
Cup series and expect to see some great racing here. This group is open to
BMW & Porsche cars only that meet BMW and/or Porsche Club rules and you must
be a current qualified racer in one of these clubs (many of these same cars
are eligible to compete in the US Cup Challenge at no extra charge - please
either contact me or Keith Lawrence for more info)

5) Porsche Feature Race - Open to all Porsches racing in any group at
BeaveRun. This is a standalone sprint race at no extra fee

Plus; the Kart track is open so you and your family can see who really is
the quicker driver, or perhaps when your mechanic blows you away you will
listen when they tell you, you are doing something wrong. There is a fee for
this and a portion of the Kart track earnings is donated to our charities

I have been informed that there will be some type of flashlight drags down
the main straight after we are off the track on Saturday and I suppose it
will start either during our dinner party or shortly thereafter - if this
happens and whatever it is we are invited to it. As per usual we have a get
together reception at the track on Friday open to drivers and crews (this is
free) and again as usual we will have our Saturday dinner party (you pay for
this but it is a good deal)

So I expect to see every single one of you at the track. And lest we forget
we are not just racing to have a good time here, we are racing to help some
people who really, really need your help. If you could see the smiles on
some of these people's faces and perhaps even more the smiles on their loved
ones faces because of what the charities we are supporting do - well I am
here to tell you I cannot keep my eyes dry and I doubt if you can either.
And as always thank you so very much for coming and making this event
possible and allowing us to help those others who need it

Ralph Steinberg

Director of Competition PVGP BeaveRun