[VTR] TR3 compression test

Jeremiah Curry jercurry at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 23:35:26 MST 2008

howdy all,

I just put the head back on my TR3 the other day and wanted to make sure I
did everything right, and that the parts were all good.  We did a leak down
test and 2 of the cylinders where "yellow" and two were "green".  To be
doubly sure, I borrowed a compression tester from autozone and did that
test.  My starter has decided not to cooperate since then, so I had to turn
the engine over with the hand-crank.  Due the manual nature, I only went
through about 2-3 compression cycles, but the PSI rating for the cylenders
were from 30-60 psi.  I understand I should be looking for 120 psi.  Is this
an indication that something is horribly wrong?

to test the tester, we put it on my brother's 5.2L jeep v8 and it got 85
psi, that seemed a little low too.  Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeremiah