[WPTA] Two WPTA Reminders

Ed Major ejmajortr3a at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 14:15:41 MDT 2018

Sistersville Ferry Run
June 16, 2018
by Rick Brown
  James Madison was president; the Union consisted of 19 states; Abraham Lincoln was eight years old; and the Erie Canal was still just a dream.  It was at this time in 1817 that ferry service began across the Ohio River between Sistersville West Virginia and Fly Ohio.
  Today there remain only four ferries serving the 981 miles of the Ohio River.  The Sistersville Ferry is the only one operating on the upper 427 miles, providing two centuries of continuous transportation service.
  Our run will start in the parking lot of Denny’s Restaurant, 1395 West Chestnut St. (Route 40) in Washington Pa.  Come off I-70 at Exit 15, merge onto Route 40 East for ¼ mile, and turn left at the traffic light.  The driver’s meeting will be at 10:15, and all cars will be gone by 10:30.  Come early for breakfast if you like.
  Our route is the definition of a relaxing, back road drive on well maintained, winding roads.  Not much but trees, hills and the occasional farm.  In fact, our rest stop (at 1:15 into the run) is in the only town we see during the 78 miles between Washington, PA and New Martinsville WV -- and it doesn’t even have a traffic light.
  After crossing the Ohio on the ferry (be sure you have $4 or $5 cash for the toll), we will end up at a small restaurant called Marv’s Place in Sardis Ohio.  This historical building from 1894 has been used as a department store, shirt factory, assembly point for Model A Fords, casket factory, and poolroom. No liquor license, but it does have Hershey’s ice cream and music from the 1950’s.  We expect to arrive at Marv’s Place between 1:15 and 1:30.
  If you would like me to email you a copy of the route, as well as historical information about the ferry, the area, and Marv’s Place, send me an email at rickbrown1956 at outlook.com.  If you’re driving from Ohio or points west of Pittsburgh, you can meet up with the group at the Ferry crossing sometime between 12:45 and 1:15.
 Let’s all hope for good weather on June 16.

WPTA Show Of Power

by Ed Major

        What would it take to get 100 WPTA Triumphs out to the Kastner Cup on Saturday July 7th? As strong as we have been I don’t think we have ever reached that milestone at an event. We need your help, your commitment to do this. It certainly would be a huge show of support for the event, the Triumph racers  and the PVGP. So if you attend ONE WPTA event this year, make it the Kastner Cup Race at Pittsburgh International Race Complex. A mere 38 minute drive from Point State Park, less in a TR at 9 in the morning! So give into your urge to see some of the hottest Triumphs on the planet and help the very worthwhile causes, the PVGP charities.