[Zmagnette] Paint

Steve Kirby skirby210 at cox.net
Sat Dec 28 21:23:24 MST 2013

ooooops, John is absolutely right.  I should have looked at my "cans" of junk before writing such a treatise.  I now realize how I made that mistake.  I use to use PPG DP40 epoxy sealer, and an etching stuff prior to that (a yellow/greenie looking product).   Somewhere along there, the guy I work with said you really didn't need to use the etching stuff anymore, as as the DP40 would be fine without it.

Then, to make matters worse "in my mind", I started using SEM and UPol "self etching primer" in spray cans, again on the advice of the same guy, when I would occassionaly sand through, or whatever, the epoxy sealer.  My "guy" said that would be fine, and totally compatible with the DP40 type products (I now use a similar type product,made by TCP (which I believe is made by ValSpar, rather than the $$$$ PPG DP40, or even the PPG Omni line).  Thus, somehow in the back recesses of the remnants of my withering brain, the two products somewhat merged and became "self-etching epoxy sealer".  John is 100% correct, ain't no such animal.

What I will say, is that on the last 3 cars (well, 2 cars, one large truck) I have skipped the etching stage completely, and gone completely with the epoxy sealer, as the first step.  Have not had one problem . . . again, on the advice of a respected auto body supplier person.  Guess that is partially how I derived the "new (so new, it hasn't been invented yet!) product:  self-etching epoxy sealer!  Throw in the self-etching spray cans of primer, which was recommended to use on whatever bare metal areas might occur, and that completed my erroneous mental route.

The next time I attempt such a discourse, I think I best mosey up to my shop, and check the cans of stuff I'm talking about.

#2SteveK