[Zmagnette] Signing up

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Tue Oct 22 15:49:52 MDT 2013

Chris Kotting wrote:
> AFAIK we can't set things up so that new members have to be "vetted,"
> we _can_ kick someone off the list for bad behaviour, or force their
> posts to go through "moderation" (they don't go out unless we approve
> them.)

The list can be set to require approval of new subscribers.  The admins
could send the applicants an
email asking some simple, inforative questions, and accept or decline.

> The fact is that I've been on one or another of the team.net lists for
> close to 20 years (Spridgets and MGs, mostly, but also Triumphs and a
> few others) I have yet to encounter a spam problem on _any_ of them.

The biggest problem at the moment is list members who have their
addresses hacked, so spammers
send stuff to the list which does go out, because as far as Mailman is
concerned it came from a real
list subscriber.  But it doesn't happen very often.

mjb.

ps:  Yes, I changed the subject line.