[Zmagnette] ignition update

charles durning durningcharles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 19:59:57 MDT 2013

Back in a past life when I worked for a living I would run into the
backfiring symptoms you stated.  I found that, typically. there are 3
places where I would look.  A plugged or restricted exhaust.  That was
problem when car were fitted double wall exhaust pipes.  The inside pipe
would collapse.  Another was a bad condencer, even if it was new.  I wish I
still had my condencer tester.  and the last was a lean mixture.  All of
those can come on suddenly, will cause a backfire through the carbs, and
limit top speed.  I would doubt the restricted pipe but would not rule out
a restricted muffler.

For the exhaust just put your hand at the end of the pipe and feel if you
are getting any exhaust out.  For the condencer, just replace it.  For the
lean mixture, check the fuel delivery to the carbs,  pressure and volume.
Replace the filter.  Check the draw tube in the tank and the filter screen
in the bottom of the tank.  Have the needles fallen out of the dashpots in
the carbs.

My Magnette had a combination of all of those that I had to correct before
the car would run right.  It would run but not well.

Charlie Durning

If you are using Google or Gmail, Big Brother is watching.