[Zmagnette] Fuel tank sealer-Not entirely OT

Gene deRuelle deruelle at att.net
Sat Feb 1 20:12:02 MST 2014

Be very careful what you use these days.  No too long ago I used some tank sealer in the fuel tank of my little airplane.  About a year later I suffered engine stoppage.  No real harm done on the forced landing except when I examined the fuel I found little green balls of stuff that had completely blocked the fuel lines.  It turns out that the additives that the manufacturers are putting in fuel these days, including Ethenol, are prone to dissolve the tank sealers which were never formulated for exposure to that junk.  I spent a month or so cleaning out the system on the plane and steaming out the tanks.  Now I just run bare metal