[Zmagnette] Fwd: 1958 MG Magnet 20000

Steve Hanegan steve at betterwitnesses.com
Sun Jan 12 13:23:32 MST 2014

This is a pretty good looking car! Concours? Show Winner? Probably not, but if it drives as well as it looks, it certainly represents a good deal for the buyer. You certainly could not build one like this for this price, even if you are starting with a good solid car. I question whether there is a market that will step in and buy a car like this at this price. I am at a loss on how we as Magnette owners can create a market for good clean cars like this one. A  Mk II Jag in this condition would have no problem reaching $30K - $35K at auction because of the reputation and mystique of Jaguar, though these prices have remained pretty constant over the past 10 years or so. Though it lacks the torquey 6 and top notch brakes of the Jag, the Magnette is still a very solid car with better than average handling characteristics and a very posh and cozy interior. I would speculate that having a few more "finished" cars sell, and perhaps, sell at one of the more prominent Auctions such as Barret Jackson, would  increase the public awareness and demand for our cars. Without demand, there really isn't any value, and demand can't be built on $2K projects.

I am guessing that a few more of us are going to need to sell our cars - holding out for prices like this one or higher - before the market will come up far enough to make this more of a typical value.

Steve H.