[Zmagnette] preservation

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Mon Jan 27 12:19:21 MST 2014

Everyone says they don't care what people think, but I think they do,
at least a bit.  That's the only reason there is judging at car
shows.  As for this group, I think for the most part we do accept the
"do what ever pleases you" philosophy.  But it still pleases us to
have other people appreciate what we have.

I do think we need to clarify some definitions.  Preservation means
keeping what is original.  Restoration can be done with an emphasis
on originality, or it can be done while making substantial
modifications to suit your preferences.  I would argue that one can
fix some paint chips and still call it preservation.  But if you
paint it the original color, that's not preservation.  It's
restoration to original.  If you paint it bright blue or add an
automatic transmission and air conditioning, that's restoration to
suit your taste.  There's the concept of a "restomod" where they may
take an American 1950's sedan and change the whole drivetrain to late
model Corvette, add air conditioning, power steering, tilt steering
wheel, etc.  It looks like the 50's but drives like a modern car.

As for preservation, it has been noted that with things like fine art
and antiques, it is originality that is valued over all
else.  Refinishing a fine antique will destroy its value.  A skilled
craftsman might make fine repairs but  change as little as
possible.  Sometimes, even cleaning is a big mistake.

-Steve T.