[Zmagnette] preservation

Allen Bachelder bachldrs at comcast.net
Tue Jan 28 12:07:18 MST 2014

I'm always amazed that while refinishing destroys the value of a piece of antique furniture, "repairs" to an antique Oriental rug, quilt, historic document or picture often enhance its value.  I sort-of understand but it's a little confusing. And antique clocks and radios are worth very little unless they work.  So you have an antique radio, but two condensers and four tubes have been replaced to make it work. Does that diminish or enhance it's value?  Old speakers, household or automotive, can be re-coned or replaced.  In a car, I can't imagine this would make much difference, value wise.

But say you're buying an antique car that you want it as original as possible. If the engine had been freshly rebuilt to absolutely original specs by a highly-respected shop, would that diminish or enhance the value?  I would think it would be an enhancement. If the car was going in a museum, who cares? And if it gets driven, even just occasionally, it would be a huge asset. The engine can look the same either way, and the numbers still match.

As for my preferences, it depends  on the car.  If the car is incredibly original when I buy it, I would keep it that way.  If the car has been repainted the wrong color, it's a toss-up but the car will not do well in a preservation class if the owner is honest.  My first Magnette had been a Manumatic but the Manumatic had been replaced - along with the original engine - years before I bought it.  I even called the previous owner to try to recover the stuff. The seized original engine was in his shop, but the Manumatic had long previously gone to scrap. Originality was not possible. Therefore I had no qualms about my 1800-5-speed conversion.  Same thing with "Geraldine".  The original drivetrain was long-gone. The car was repainted the wrong colors, and upholstered in the wrong materials. Originality, again, was impossible.

And, to address Rodger's point:  sometimes it is only keen observation of The Navigator's wishes that will unlock the key to the checkbook.  I wanted to take Geraldine back to her original monotone varitone sea foam green (after all, monotone varitones are very rare - and worth having)  but The Navigator loved her ivory/damask-red livery and wouldn't hear of sea foam green.  So, what do you do?  Of course, we all know...  Same thing: A/C...

Ed, I can see your point about wanting a fast car, therefore buy a Vette.  But isn't there just a bit of fun in blowing the doors off a vette with a car that's only supposed to have 68 hp?  Granted, my 98 hp Magnette is not going to do that, but my cruising habits have raised some eyebrows among fellow motorists. Guys at the rest areas coming up and saying "hey, that thing really moves out" etc:  always fun...  I've been a passenger in MGB V8s, where we've gotten some incredible glances from 300Z owners, etc, as be blew by them.  When I was a kid, I dreamed of building resto-rods long before the concept evolved.  Geraldine is no resto rod, but one of my principles was to build a Magnette that performs as well as its interior elegance promises.

FWIW,
Allen
Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =iii=<
Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs