[Zmagnette] Spare motor

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Tue Jan 28 15:18:43 MST 2014

Buckey,

I think you are interpreting this wrong.  I think you are applying
the key for decoding the car number to the engine number.  What I
find for that number is that BP15GC is for the ZA Magnette, with full
flow oil filter.  I can't confirm the meaning of the H in that engine
number, but in the later ones it meant high compression.  I'm getting
this from Barney's site,
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be100.htm.    So, I would say that
this engine can be put in your Magnette.  Whether the condition is
good enough will be up to the rebuilder and machine shop.  If your
car was originally equipped with a 1500 engine, this is your
opportunity to go up to a bigger displacement.  If your car was
already a 1600, you might not want to go down in size.  This all
depends on how much of an originality guy you are.

-Steve T.