[Zmagnette] wheel bearing lubrication

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Sat Mar 1 13:30:40 MST 2014

Doesn't matter who made the bearings- all ball bearings are the same.

Too much grease is evil. It just creates heat - which melts the grease
out, and all over the wheels, or brakes if it goes inside.

I pack the bearing, and smear all internal surfaces - including the cap
- with grease to prevent rust.

Remember that modern greases are far more stable than the old stuff, and
last more or less forever - far longer than you will.

Once you put a hub together correctly, properly greased, it should
easily go 24000 miles, and likely 100,000.
I never take a known good hub apart for inspection - it just wears out
the bearing fits, and introduces dirt.
IF the car is parked under water, or the brakes hang and get really hot,
then it makes sense to "inspect and service" the bearings.
IF the outer bearing looks a bit dry, smoosh some grease into that
bearing. The only place that grease went is along the hub taper to the
inner bearing.

FRM