[Zmagnette] wheel bearing lubrication

Steve Kirby skirby210 at cox.net
Sat Mar 1 14:36:25 MST 2014

Once had a bearing distributor guy give a chat to my Machine Maintenance class.  Amongst the many things he made real clear was exactly what FRM said:  To much grease definitely causes overheating.  The cap on the car is a dust cap, not a grease cup.  Filling it with grease accomplishes nothing other than making a mess.  How exactly, if you filled the cap with greas, is it supposed to get into the bearings?  By some kind of reverse centrifigal force?  Or, by heat?  Like if it gets hot enough for the grease in the cap to melt into your bearings . . . . hmmmm, Abingdon  . . . we have a problem if it is getting that hot.

Final "point" here.  My father-in-law managed a coke plant.  They hired a new person, and he very zealously was doing a seemingly great job.  He decided to lube (zerk fittings) the two pillow bearings on this large rotating shaft every week.  There was a temperature gauge on the pillow block of the bearings.  The temperature went up, so he lubed it some more.  He kept repeating this until there was a failure.  When all was replaced, he started in again . . . not having learned.  Wise old father-in-law told him to knock it off, and the temperature soon went down, and stayed there.