[Zmagnette] wheel bearing lubrication

LannM at aol.com LannM at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 18:45:08 MST 2014

Steve T.

My WSM calls out an 18G304 Puller and 18G304B Adaptor.  Pictures from  the
Service Tool Catalogue attached.

Lann

In a message dated 3/7/2014 7:26:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
strovato at optonline.net writes:

Well, on  the right side, I started to attempt the hub removal.  I
tried the  old trick of putting the brake drum on backwards, and using
it as a sort  of slide hammer.  That didn't work.  I tried a three arm
puller  and cranked it a bit, until it slipped off the hub.  A three
arm  puller isn't necessarily the best thing to try to engage on a
square  part.  I was a bit cautious and not really committed to
getting  deeper into this today.  I am sure I can come up with a
better puller  for this in the future.  The factory puller pulled the
studs, rather  than trying to hook around the back.  Anyway, I would
say that this  hub is the exception to the "does not take much"
rule.  For now, I  cleaned up the mess I could reach.  I took new
grease, and applied it  to the outer bearing as well as I could.  I
put it back together and  the rest will be a project for another
day.  It is definitely still  on the to do list, though.  As for the
inner parts that I never  reached, the manual says that the inner ball
race bearing spacer and oil  seal will remain on the stub axle, and
must be withdrawn with the aid of a  separate extractor.  It's not the
inner bearing, it is the spacer  they think will be stuck.  They list
special tool part no.  68895.  I have no idea what that is.  I don't
expect to find  one, of course, but it would be interesting to see
what they had in  mind.  I didn't try the left side at all, but I did
make note in the  manual that the left side of the car is left-hand
thread.  That could  be frustrating without that bit of
knowledge.  There is also a  statement to remove the grease retaining
disc and felt washer.  The  grease retaining disc is, I guess, what I
would call a metal washer.   I didn't find any felt washer and I don't
remember seeing one in any of  the diagrams.  Anyway, thanks for the
advice and I'll get back to  this another day with a bit more time and
tools.

-Steve T.