[Zmagnette] Road-Wandering Magnette

Allen Bachelder bachldrs at comcast.net
Sun May 11 21:36:27 MDT 2014

Well, Gang, we had a nice outing in "Geraldine" on Saturday - about 150 miles without any problems.  Except... an ongoing problem - exacerbated by some stiff crosswinds: it tends to wander. I feel a bit of slop while trying to correct - resulting in over-correction.  I totally rebuilt the front end a year ago this past winter and had it properly aligned.  It does not pull at all in either direction. The steering feels completely neutral.  I neglected to check my tyre inflation before setting out, but what would be the recommended tyre pressures on a Magnette. Tyres are 165/80R15 Nexen SB-80s.  I had them set to 32# all way 'round. ' Wonder if they would do better at around 28# in front.  I have yet to replace the rear bushes and shox, and I'm thinking there could be enough slop in the rear bushes to affect steering - but if so, would I not also experience torque-steering?  There is none. I mean NONE.

All this leaves only the steering rack.  I already replaced the tie rod ends, and there is no slop in the king pins.  Any ideas?  My plan is to go from easiest to hardest: (1) - set front tyres at 28#. (2) rebush rear-end and replace rear shox, while making sure U-bolts are t-i-g-h-t. (3) Rebuild/replace steering rack. I believe I can get a rebuilt rack from Lou for £250 + core, which means I ship a steering rack round trip across the pond. At current exchange rate the £250 turns into about $422.00 US plus lots 'n' lots of shipping.  What are my domestic alternatives?  What's involved in rebuilding a steering rack anyway?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Allen
Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =iii=<
Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs