For the first time ever Land Rover, Rover and BMW shared the same stand. In
addition to that there was a tent with the slogan: "Fascination Mobility"
which has had everything from cyber-simulations, to cars and motorbycicles.
BMW 5with Bernd Pischetsrieder
Styling cues from the 3 and the 7 series - the BMW 5 is moderate looking
compared to the radical new Mercedes E (W 210).
Technological advance is the key to the new 5: The suspension and braking
systems, even the most basic road wheels, are now made from aluminium. The Cd
figure of 0.27 for the 520i, rising to 0.30 for the 525tds is impressive,
versus 0.30-0.33 for the former models.
- Engines:(The new engines are marked with an *)
All engines are in-line, except 530i and 540i which are V.
- * 520i: (4-door limousine, touring)
- 6-cylinder, 1991 cc, bore x stroke: 80 x 66 mm, power: 110 kW (150 bhp) at
5900 rpm, max. torque: 190 Nm at 4200 rpm.
- * 523i: (4-door limousine)
- 6-cylinder, 2495 cc, 84 x 75 mm, 125 kW (170 bhp) 5500 rpm, 245 Nm 3950
- * 528i: (4-door limousine)
- 6-cylinder, 2793 cc, 84x84 mm,142 kW (193 bhp) 5300 rpm, 280 Nm 3950 rpm.
- 525td (touring)
- 6-cylinder, 2498 cc, 80x82.8 mm, 85 kW (115 bhp) 4800 rpm, 222 Nm 1900 rpm.
- * 525tds (4-door limousine, touring)
- 6-cylinder, 2498 cc, 80x82.8 mm, 105 kW (143 bhp) 4800 rpm, 260 Nm 2200 rpm.
- 525i and 525iX (touring):
- 6-cylinder, 2494 cc, 84x75 mm, 141 kW (192 bhp) 5900 rpm, 250 Nm 4200 rpm.
- 530i (touring):
- 6-cylinder, 2997 cc, 84x67.6 mm, 160 kW (218 bhp) 5800 rpm, 290 Nm 4500 rpm.
- 540i (touring)
- 6-cylinder, 3982 cc, 89x80 mm, 210 kW (286 bhp) 5800 rpm, 400 Nm 4500 rpm.
- Dimensions and weights
- 4-door limousine:
- Length/ width/ height: 4775/ 1800/ 1435 mm, wheelbase: 2830 m, track front/
rear: 1516/ 1530 mm, round clearance 11.3 m. Kerb weight: 1410-1440 kg (DIN),
luggage space: 460 liter.
- 5-door touring:
- Length/ width/ height: 4720/ 1751/ 1417 mm, wheelbase: 2761 m, track front/
rear: 1470/ 1495 mm, round clearance 11.0 m. Kerb weight: 1445-1650 kg (DIN),
luggage space: 460-1450 (the latter with rear seats down) liter.
- New base model for the 7-series: 728i:
- 6-cylinder 2.8 liter engine with 142 kW (193 bhp) power and 280 Nm torque.
Max. speed: 227 km/h.
- New BMW M3
- New models from BMW Individual: 318is Class II, 3 Avus coupe, M3 GT
- These are slightly modified, limited-edition cars.
Go back to the IAA report!
Copyright September, 1995
Paul Negyesi Budapest, Hungary.
This document or its parts can not be reproduced, quoted in any means.
You can create freely a link, but please let me know about it.