SUNI II

From: Joe Parlanti (u3j57(at)lfht1.hso.link.com)
Date: Thu Feb 09 1995 - 08:16:09 CST

>Interesting to note that Joe was able to take his Alpine to Suni rather
>than his Tiger!! Way to go !!

I'll fill in a few details about the trip:

My friend Mark Gessler owns a Series IV which we were originally going to
take on the trip. We had been planning an Alpine adventure for quite some
time. In preparation, we spent a fair amount of time working on his car.
Tires, exhaust, ball joints, new top, radiator, and others were all replaced
or renewed. The day before we were to leave, disaster struck, a burned #1
piston. At this point we had a couple of alternatives; fly, drive a regular
car, or drive "my" Alpine. I was a little concerned because about the last one
because I had barely looked at the car from a maintenance standpoint for some
time. We decided that the main reason for this trip was the drive and not SUNI
itself, so I went home at noon to get the car ready. Basically, all I did was
change the oil, top up all of the fluids, and put Marks just rebuilt radiator
in the car. I also wired up the cigar lighter so we would have juice for the
RADAR detector and portable CD player. Mark came over at 4:00 pm and we loaded
our gear and every tool and spare part that we thought we might ever need and off
we went. I had owned the car about 5 years but had never driven it farther than
about 250 miles in a single trip. The Alpine ran great and it was truly a fun
time.

BTW, I had just bought the Tiger and it is a restoration project. Mechanically it's
great, but the body is going to need a lot of work.

Joe Parlanti
1967 Alpine Series V
1966 Tiger
1989 RX-7