RE: Speed-o error w/OD

From: Tony Leeming (TLEEMING(at)city.nanaimo.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 14 1995 - 10:44:00 CST

On March 12, 1995 19:50 Tiger Tom wrote

>Someone recently mentioned the ecstasy of driving an Alpine with overdrive
>and a 3:89 rear. .............................

That's me !

>Rootes never came up with a speedo drive/driven gear to accomodate this
>combnation of drivetrain. What they did was build a special speedometer
just
>for the OD with a 4:22 rear. The Speedo has a stiffer hair spring which
makes
>the speedo worthless except for its intended application.
>Fear not Bunky, there is salvation. Go visit your local speedo shop and
ask
>for an inline reducer with a ratio of .6740. This ratio applies to OD/3:89
>combinations using series IV or V speedos.

Interesting stuff, Thanks for the info. But how did they overcome the
problem with the Series 3 which came as 3.89 both for o/d and std.? In
Canada we suffer with KMH and its pretty close without any changes to the
speedo. Still, it would be nice to have it read in MPH, like it was supposed
to !!

Tony Leeming Nanaimo, Vancouver Island,
 British Columbia, Canada. (tleeming(at)city.nanaimo.bc.ca.)
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 ( My Pine )
1976 Mercedes 450SLC
1983 Toyota Landcruiser SW