re: i have a compulsion to flash

From: Anthony Robinson (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Thu Nov 02 1995 - 19:11:57 CST

andrew,

when i first got my series two i had trouble with the flasher. when i took
the steering column apart there appeared to be on switch (ie the indicator
stalk) but it closes two seperate circuits. one for the dash light and one
for the external lights.

in my case the external lights worked but the internal light didn't work for
turning right. the circuits are supposedly set up so that the internal
light won't come on if the outside ones aren't working (for the sake of safety).

check inside the steering colunm cover (it springs apart). the contacts that
close the circuits are easily bent and perhaps the contact for the outside
indicators isn't (making contact).

this fixed my indicator probs.

(and we call them blinkers down here)

anthony robinson
alpine sII, 1962; Melbourne University, Australia.

anthonyr(at)civag.unimelb.edu.au

     "Yeah yeah'" Greg Matthews, balding ex Australian Test Cricketer.