Re: 5-speed

From: Anthony Robinson (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Sun Mar 10 1996 - 19:18:45 CST

This is a repeat of a letter I sent last year some time. I don't know what
happened with the project but if you are intereseted you should contact
Peter Thompson. An article appeared in our newsletter from the alpine and
tiger club in New South Wales:

>this is a transcript of the article as it appeared in the newsletter. It's
>not too clear so I will type it out word for word because I can't really
>work out what the prices include. I will write to Peter to get more
>details. What do you know about him? I haven't yet spoken to anybody about
>the boxes but I will.
>
>"I have been talking to a mob who for $500 (~$US375) will supply a new
>bellhousing, speedo cable, spigot bearing, clutch plate actuating arm and
>thrust bearing, to put a toyota steel case 5 speed in your car.
>"They will also sell you a reconditioned 5 speed and yoke; you have to get a
>tail shaft made approx. 100'' for $500.
>"The gear stick will come out of the original hole.
>"There are two types of gearbox they can supply:
>"TOP 1:1, 3rd 1.39:1, 2nd 2.04:1, 1st 3.28:1, OVERDRIVE 0.85:1
>"TOP 1:1, 3rd 1.39:1, 2nd 2.05:1, 1st 3.52:1, OVERDRIVE 0.85:1"
>
>peter thompson,
>43 Murray St.,
>Lane Cove,
>N.S.W.,
>Australia,
>2066.
>
>I think that is two lots of $500(aus) and then I'm not sure that you even
>get the tail shaft. Surely there would be someone who could do it cheaper
>over there. I would suppose that you are enquiring out of interest about its
>suitability. I'm not sure what the boxes were originally from but I will
>enquire.( They are celica gearboxes, very tough!)

Anthony J Robinson, B.Comm.,B.Eng.(Hons).|"I make hamburgers," the Whitlams.
University of Melbourne |
Parkville, Victoria |
Australia |
Phone: (03) 9344 7560 |