RE: ALPINE PURCHASE & VALUE

From: james leleux (shurlok(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 1996 - 19:48:03 CST

here's my experience (for what it is worth)

2 years ago I purchased my '67 Alpine V in running condition for $1100,
it was in fairly good shape, however there was rust on the floor panel
(surface only) and it needed brake/hydraulics (peace of mind!!) and new
carpet (see rust above).

It was selling for $1000 - I bid $1100 to acquire, drove it home (on a
prayer).

When I called my insurance agent, he wanted to physically see it and
take pictures, despite it's haggard appearance it got valued at $5000!!
My agent said cherry could go $10k, no its not a Tiger, it is simply
listed as a collector's car - per Farmers Insurance.

Since purchasing I have also needed a new ring gear for flywheel,
clutch, freeze plugs, radiator cleaned, starter, regulator, oil pan &
timing chain gaskets/seals and carburetor rebuild.

Thus far i have less than $1650 cash into it - pretty nifty huh?!?

Now what an owner thinks it's worth is another story, just show the
cash in front of his wife and she'll make him sell (sexist but true!!)

cheers - james