Re: Electrolysis

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 1996 - 18:07:54 CST

You wrote:

> Ok, here is the next question.
>
> I had my cylinder head refurbished four years ago. Last October
one of
> the valve seats gave way. When I took it off the car. there was
> evidence of severe corrosion and the guy at the local head shop
told
> me it appears to be electrolysis. Does anyone know what causes
this?

> Chris Stephenson
> Alpine III
> Atlanta, GA

When 2 dissimilar metals exist in an electrolyte solution electric
current will flow, and metal from one electrode will be chemically
changed/removed.

For dissimilar metals read aluminium and cast iron or steel(valve
seat). For electrolyte read tap water (lots of dissolved salts in that
stuff). This is very common with al heads, and you should really use
de-ionized water with a corrosion inhibitor in the futore . Your anti
freeze may contain the corrosion inhibitor).

You can never prevent it completely, but you can slow it down.

John
Alpine;
R75/5