Re: TR4 and Crank start

From: Mike (mmarsh(at)ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat May 25 1996 - 06:09:11 CDT

DSand95510(at)aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-05-22 19:01:21 EDT, JLAIFMAN(at)PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM
> (Jay Laifman) writes:
>
> >Very funny response about the radiator removal instructions. BTW, the
> >Alpine has the same type pulley and comes with a separate crank, like the
> TR4.
> >Fortunately, there is a hole under the radiator through which the crank
> >will fit and go into the pulley
>
> When was the TR4 discontinued? Is it possible that the Series V Alpine,
> last made in January of 1968, was the last mass-produced passenger car in the
> U.K. or U.S. to have a handcrank starter option?I don't think so guys! My 1976 Sunbeam Imp Sport had one. It had a cast aluminium socket on the end of
the crankshaft which the crank handle fitted into, and surprisingly, the twin Stromberg setup would
hand-start quite easily if the choke setting was absolutely perfect. The whole thing was a permanent
pain in the bum though, because this cast item would always work it's way loose, no matter how tight you
tightened it! This resulted in the spiral gear which drives the oil pump and distributor "floating" up
and down the crank half an inch or so with consequent variability in ignition timing and performance!
Usually when you had just done that delightful drop down to third at about 60mph ("try doing THAT in a
Mini") to overtake a bloody great truck. Ah, the delights of Imp ownership. But - it definitely had a
crank (which I think must be standard - the handle had a special thingo in the toolkit to hold it) and
I'd say it qualifies for mass produced.
Mike (Aussie) Imp Nut Marsh