Re: gearbox oil and headlamp rings

John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:01:34 -0700

You wrote: >
-------- >To: alpines(at)autox.team.net
>From: "Bert Clewits" <nyclewit(at)nyhp03.serigate.philips.nl>
>Subject: gearbox oil and headlamp rings
-------- >Hi Beamers !

>Sometime ago there was a discussion about what oil to use in the
gearbox >Is it right to put just motor oil in the gearbox with an overdrive of
>a series IV Alpine.
>I saw in our late Hillman Minx owners handbook that motor oil was
>required for the gearbox.
>I think it's better to use proper gearbox oil is that possible ?
>Any comments ?

Use engine oil in the box. Gear oil will prevent the OD unit from working, by allowing the cone braking clutch to slip. Trust me - I know - been there! The gears in a box do not tax oils like gears in the rear end.

John Alpine IV