Re[2]: Taking off knock-offs

Jarrid Gross (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:10:00 -0700

Rootes Club,

you wrote...

>----------
>From: Rootesclub
>To: alpines
>Subject: Fuel injection on Alpine 1725cc
>Date: Sunday, June 23, 1996 7:07AM
>
>I am interested if there is an existing setup to fit fuel injection on an
>Alpine engine.
>Does anyone have an idea where to find such info? Doug Ferrell, Topeka.

I have been running an EFI series II alpine for over a year.

I have experimented with and have built a multipoint EFI setup for the 1725 engine. It runs well and I've even raced it a couple of times. It uses all off the shelf GM/Bosch parts "exluding inlet manifold".

The parts cost is not terrible but the control computer would be a significant portion as well as the inlet manifold. It should be noted that I designed my own engine computer + software for this project as OEM ECUs are not flexible enough to be transplanted into just any car. Also available aftermarket ECUs are hideously expensive "over $1000 just for the ecu".

Other EFI tecniques such as TBI "throttle body injection" are a possibility, although fuel control is poor "puddeling occurs" and overall performance is lower and emmisions are increased. The engine that I have it on is currently a totally stock series V motor. Torque was significantly higher compared with original dual stromberg carb induction. Torque is so much better that the clutch "fresh 7 1/2 inch" now slips at around 5000 RPM. Torque falls off very quickly at 5300 RPM due to lack of a good camshaft. A good camshaft should make more than 120 lb ft at around 5000 RPM and should produce over 125 hp at around 6200 RPM. More if you cam the engine for higher RPM and it survives the abuse. I have recently reground a high lift long duration cam "through Crower Cams", but i have yet to install it. I expect 125 to 130 HP however with a reasonable amount of driveability.

I have considered producing my injection system as a kit, but I suspect that there are not enough interested parties to offset the production costs.

Any suggestions,coments or questions?

Jarrid Gross

Gross(at)Unit.Com