RE: Oil Pressure Build-Up

From: Jarrid Gross (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 1996 - 12:10:00 CDT

This reply to Terry Edlunds problem with oil pressure on startup.

I believe that the original Rootes oil filters had some sort of a baffle
that kept the oil from draining back through the oil pump. Newer oil
filters appear not to have this feature as most all applications mount
sideways or upside down. MG had very serious engine wear problems with a
similar arangement on the MGB and later redesigned the oil filter mounting
base as an upsidedown arrangement.

The condition of the oil pump "lobe clearances" appears to define the amount
of time that the engine requires to bleed down enough oil to cause the
startup problem.

Ive recently recieved some info from the vintage race internet group fom
people who have installed accusump oil accumulators on vintage cars for road
racing instead of using a dry sump. I wont go into detail here on how it
works, but it would allow you to "prime" the oil galleries prior to startup.

Another possible solution is an oil filter relocation kit. This will allow
the filter to be mounted upside down in a remote location.

Any other ideas.

Jarrid Gross
SII EFI