Can't get those damned screws in!

From: William West (Will_Thane(at)msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 1996 - 20:54:01 CDT

Hello!

I am putting the convertable top back on my '78 Midget and have encountered a
problem. I can't get the sheet metal screws back in! The problem is where
the top is permanently secured between the chrome stripping and the rubber.

If I don't use the buttons, I can get the screws in, but if I put the buttons
under the sheet metal screw, no way. All that I have accomplished so far is
marring up the flange from misaligning the screws and chipping the paint from
where my screwdriver slipped!!! Needless to say, I am flustered.

Should I continue fighting the screws which seem to be suddenly slightly too
short, or should I just buy slightly longer screws?

Will

PS. Thanks to all who responded to my MG Puzzle question. I've got the
manuals and am on my way!