Won't Run Right

From: Karl Gilchrist (xtr25618701(at)xtra.co.nz)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 03:06:12 CST

I've now got the Alpine back from the workshop who embarked on a
estimated $250 tune up. Along the way they rebuilt the Strombergs and
fixed the gearbox leak (which involved a partial rebuild of the gearbox)
and the final bill was $1200 (US $800)and whats worse it AIN'T RUNNING
RIGHT.

Accleration is fine but at idle its VERY LUMPY with RPM's (by the Tacho)
flucuating from 850 rpm to almost 0 at which point the engine trys to
shake itself to bits and either stalls or the revs pick up to around
850 again.The engine also runs on when turned off. Has any one got any
ideas how to solve this problem. I remember someone once saying that a
simaler problem could be caused by worn distrubutor bushings. Is it just
that the idle speed needs to be increased. Perhaps a timing problem
(given the running on).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure that without it
the workshop will be able to get things right.Karl