RE: Woooh! Can of worms!!

From: John McEwen (mmcewen(at)gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 11:58:36 CDT

> >"why not just junk the old British steel bodies and buy a
>kit-built
> >something-or-other from Taiwan. Hell, if we bolt Sunbeam
>Alpine on it, who
> >will know the difference?
> >
> >John McEwen"

Hello Richard and List:

I guess my biggest problem with many of the Alpine postings on this list -
and one which my limp sarcasm failed to adequately probe - is that the
major goal seems to be the major modification of all existing vehicles into
something non-original. I don't have a big quarrel with reversible
modifications. But I do feel that many of us are trying to turn vintage
sports cars into modern, fast light cars in an attempt to say "Look what I
did".

We who "live and breathe LBCs" should realize that during our short lives
we are in actuality stewards of the old vehicles which we temporarily own -
just as we are stewards of the natural resources of our countries. This
reckless pressure to modify engines, chassis and interiors in a foolish
attempt to make a leather purse out of a cow's ear is rapidly destroying
what we believe in. When we are dead what will be left? Buick-engined
Alpines? Ford-engined Alpines? V-6- engined Alpines? Sure the old
four-banger is no ball of fire but it was plenty good enough 35 years ago.
Why is everyone trying to make a 1997 car out of something built in 1962?

My advice to all of you is to buy a new Neon or a Sunbird. It will go as
fast as your heavily-modified Alpine. It will probably be cheaper and
infinitely more reliable than your bastardized LBC and will fetch a decent
resale price when you are tired of playing with it. Leave the old cars
alone. Restore them to their original specs and enjoy them for what they
are.

I would like to think that our children and their children will be able to
enjoy an LBC too. If you must have a go-fast sports car, buy a kit or
hotrod a Miata. It is the height of hypocrisy to proclaim LBC love while
destroying the very character you apparently so revere.

"It's my car so I can do whatever I want to it. Just butt out!"

John McEwen

See what I mean?