Buying a Series III

From: Heuer, Paul (paul.heuer(at)dsto.defence.gov.au)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 18:20:47 CDT

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I've been snooping for a few weeks.
I have found a Series III for sale and I would appreciate any advice on
things to check before I buy. I know to check the sills & bracing for rust,
to check for oil/water contamination, and to jack under one wheel & check
door gaps, but are there any others? How about thrust washers, is there an
external test of their integrity? And the now infamous ring gear bolts, I
suspect the diff would need to come out before any check can be made, right?
When I jack under one wheel to check for body strength, how much change in
the door gaps is considered reasonable?

I have had a quick drive, but not a thorough look over the car. My initial
impressions are that the car feels tight, the accelerator (gas pedal to you
guys?) has a lot of travel before the revs increase, second gear crunches on
the downshift if you're not careful (worn synchro - is this a big problem),
temp gauge is dead and an after-market one has been added below the dash.
There are a few rust bubbles in the paint which is a home spray job about 5
years old.

Is there anything to be found from the body/chassis/engine numbers? Should
they match, do the numbers signify RHD/LHD, original overdrive, etc? (ie ala
Triumph O=overdrive, L=LHD). Can I check whether the car has the correct
engine (1500/1600/1700cc) by looking at the block? It has twin carbs
(Zenith), which is correct for a series III, right?

For the record, the car is green, black interior, overdrive, steel wheels
and a set of near new 14in Minilite clones, hard top, soft top, tonneau. Oh,
and the car is in Adelaide, South Australia. Chrome is a bit pitted, but I
hear you guys are real generous with new chrome parts & paint money (MEGA
:-)

I hope this many questions is acceptable as a first post, thanks in advance
for any and all advice.
Cheers,
Paul.