"New" Series V - Day 4

From: Steve Van Ronk (glblitnpwr(at)nidlink.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 22:30:21 CDT

Hello again,

Well I sure hope this was the dirtiest day of the project! Grind,
grind, sand, sand, brush, ouch!, brush, guzzle beer, grind, grind,
scrub, wash, guzzle more beer, vacuum and go take a bath. That about
tells it all.

After transferring all the rot and crud from the interior to one big
garbage bag and my body, this thing is starting to look pretty cool.
Got lucky - no malignant rust cancer at all. Starting with grandpa's
old 7" grinder with 80 grit sandpaper, to my 4-1/4 grinder with
sandpaper, then wire brush the metal looks pretty good. Not near as bad
a job as I can see it could have been and I am very glad to have taken
it down this far.

Tomorrow will be paint, undercoat, and figure out (and start) replacing
the tar paper stuff. From all the messages I got from you folks, I
think it is exactly tar paper (maybe by another name from automotive
manufacturers) and all of them have it except one respondent who said
his was bare metal under the carpets. The brown fuzzy stuff is "jute"
and is common to many cars. I just have to do a little research and
make a decision what to use as or in place of the tar paper. With a
good long day tomorrow, I should be ready to install the carpets that
are coming from Curt at Classic Sunbeam Inc. <CMeinel464(at)aol.com>.
Thought I'd give him a plug since he has put up with my daily questions
and has many parts noone else offered.

Thank everyone on this list for their quick and enthusiastic response to
my questions. Sunbeam people really get into this stuff, huh?

Take care,
Steve Van Ronk
glblitnpwr(at)nidlink.com