Spring Hanger Repair

From: Andy Whiteford (A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 05:19:16 CDT

Exactly two years after buying one ton of scrap metal with a Rootes chassis
plate,
(Tell me about "lusting after the merchandise!"), I've just finished the
front and mid section body rebuild,including replacing all six sills, and
it's time to start on the rear chassis, etc.
My questions:-
What's the best way to tackle the spring hangers, forward and rear?
Should I roll the shell on its side? If so, any advice?
Should I use angle-iron to brace the shell as I did for the sill(rocker)
replacement?
How can I ensure accuracy in lining up spring mounting holes?
Is there anything else I need to know?
Information on techniques for repairing this area is hard to come by:
The whole job looks like a depressing nightmare !

Any advice, tips & stories would be most gratefully received.
My thanks in advance to those who take the time to reply.
"Hoots Mon"

Andy Whiteford,
'63 Ser III GT "Rusty"
Glasgow, SCOTLAND
United(?) Kingdom

A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk (Andy Whiteford)