Wood Dash

From: Paul Gilbert (pgilbert(at)worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 20:03:23 CDT

I saw a beautifully figured piece of Honduran Rosewood at the lumber
yard several years ago and bought it knowing that some day I would have
a project that would justify this extravagance. It is large enough for
my S.V "in progress" restoration. I have looked carefully at my broken,
plastic, uckkey old dash and it is absolutely flat. This makes cutting
a dash from any fancy hardwood a reasonably simple task. It also makes
possible putting a door on the glove pocket hole.

My problem now is, can this wood be matched on a steering wheel? Last
month at the British Car Day here in New Orleans I saw a Tiger with a
three spoke wheel with what appeared to be oak on the outer perimeter.
It had equally spaced large brass rivets holding the wood onto the metal
frame. I don't want plastic anything in my "new" car, and want
everything to match.

I checked out the door panels which on my "in the box" project were just
masonite covered with black vinyl. The doors appear to be perfectly
flat which should make a wood replacement simple enough. Has anyone
tried gluing up some panels and fitting them to the door panels. A
rosewood and leather interior would be awesome.