RE: SI Parts/SV Rear axles interchange?

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 11:03:00 CDT

Dennis Osmer; Sunbeams,

>I have a 61 SI I was working on (starting in 1988). Dash gone, lots of
>rust. I did the brakes/rear wheel seals/new master cyl, then it fell
off
>the jackstands in the earthquake of '89 and one jackstand made a large
>permanent impression in the gas tank. Project stopped until prompted
by
>teen age car nut son. Stopped again when I removed the w/s to find
near
>terminal body cancer. Found a SV in good shape and am abandoning
>(reluctantly) SI.
>So, I have some parts available and a neat factory parts book that came
>with it, great maybe? original Dunlop spare.
>I do have a leaky rear wheel seal on the SV and I was wondering if the
>axles are interchangeable?
>Dennis Osmer
>Watsonville, CA

The answer to your question is no.

Series V axles are different from all others in that the axles use a
different
bearing that has an integral oil seal. The dimensions of the axle are
different,
as is the axle case. The hub is also different from earlier axles.

The differentials are interchangable, but not the axles or cases.

Sounds like you need to replace that bearing, and/or replace some
gaskets.

Save those SI parts!
If you cant sell em, there is bound to be someone who will at least cart
them
off for you.

Good luck,

Jarrid Gross