Re: Original-looking tires

From: James Downing (downing(at)mlml.calstate.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 1997 - 10:48:46 CDT

At 05:22 PM 4/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Mr. Downing,
Please, just James. We're among friends...

>Is it possible to
>take one of your tires down to a good tire shop and have the rolling
>circumf. of the tire measured and looked up on a chart to determine the
>equivalent radial size for our Alpine.

Sounds like a good idea. Coker provides a conversion chart but I'm not sure
it's exactly right. They say a 165R13 is the conversion from the 6.00-13
bias ply size. I'll check around to see if someone can get me a more
accurate measure.

>How did you get 35+ years out of a set of tires???
Easy. Don't drive on 'em ; )

Actually I think the tires on it are the first set of replacements but the
spare which has a slightly wider whitewall than the others is the same tire.
I suspect that one is original. It's in the best condition so I'll see if it
can be measured.