Welsh Plug

From: Anthony Robinson (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 23:12:36 CDT

Hi,

I thought I would take advantage of this quiet time on the list to tell you
about the last ten days when I went about replacing that welsh plug.

I couldn't get it out with the engine in the car and didn't have a garage
strong enough to lift the engine so I dropped it out of the bottom of the
car. I progressively jacked the car up using the stock jack and blocks of
would and took the engine, gearbox and front suspension out as one unit
balanced on a trolley jack. This was interesting because of the four bolts
attaching the crossmember to the chassis only two were tight ( something to
check as often as those ring gear bolts maybe). Also when I dopped the
suspension from the car the spacers used on the top arms of the suspension
were all over the place. Some of them had been put in upside down and had
fallen out. Others had half slipped out, and one was found just sitting
atop one of the turrets. Only Lord Rootes himself would know how it didn't
find its way onto the road somewhere. All of these were replaced to the
best of my abilities and to match my desires for the camber of the wheels.

All of the other welsh plugs were new and it only took me 10 seconds to
swap the corroded one, with a plain brass one which I sealed with silastic
silicon. While it was out I separated the front suspension from the
engine. I thoroughly degreased the engine and gearbox. Then I rubbed back
the front cross member and gave it a new coat of paint and wacked in some
new shock absorbers while I had such good access. The old ones were &*%^$#ed.

While it was all out I washed the engine bay and removed the booster which
didn't belong in my series II braking system. Then I reasembled it all and
bled the clutch and all of the brakes. Wednesday night we happily headed
off to the drive-in to see the Saint, and pretended we were in a high speed
chase as the front wheels scrubbed and squeeled around every corner.
Yesterday I took it to the tyre shop had a wheel alignment and two add on
white walls replaced. Now it's back in all its glory and I am loving not
bouncing over bumps, not losing water and getting out to crouch down on the
road to admire my shiney black cross-member and sway bar.

All of this was quite simple and performed without the manual which would
have no doubt sped up the procedure.

Anthony, 1962 Series II.